• March 28, 2024, 02:38 PM
• Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Perusing The Shelves

Author Topic: Hi All!  (Read 1634 times)

Offline djandma

• PTS Member
  • Rating : 6
Hi All!
« on: June 26, 2012, 12:22 PM »
Hi everyone! I'm DJ. I'm a retired Special Education teacher who loves to read and now I have the opportunity to do it! James Patterson, Mary Higgins Clark, Lisa Gardner, ... Realistic fiction, and anything related to Great Britain or The Monarchy are on my to-do-reading list! Even books on places to visit, historical places in Europe are fantastic. I may not be able to afford to go to all the places on my Wishlist, so I do the ebook virtual tour!
✿ღஐƸ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒஐღ✿ Appreciate & enjoy life one day at a time ✿ღஐƸ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒஐღ✿

Advertisement

Offline ♥love♥

Re: Hi All!
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2012, 02:21 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Hi everyone! I'm DJ. I'm a retired Special Education teacher who loves to read and now I have the opportunity to do it! James Patterson, Mary Higgins Clark, Lisa Gardner, ... Realistic fiction, and anything related to Great Britain or The Monarchy are on my to-do-reading list! Even books on places to visit, historical places in Europe are fantastic. I may not be able to afford to go to all the places on my Wishlist, so I do the ebook virtual tour!

Hi DJ
I'm Love, I dont know what all the other post under yours are but I am here to say Hi

I really wanted to be a Special Education teacher I have a brother with cerebral palsy and grew up around all
sorts of fun people but one thing lead to the next and
right now I do respite care at home for my nephew who has down syndrome and love it
I have 4 kids so it the best I can do for now  ;D

I'm am glad you have joined
I love Romance and I dig James Patterson Cross Series

Well I just wanted to say  :welcome:

Offline Lexie

« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2012, 05:11 PM »

Hi DJ! :) Special Ed? My brother has Down Syndrome. But he's so active and sometimes he'll annoy the hell out of you. lol. :D But he still not speaking clearly. Welcome to PTS! ;)

Offline djandma

• PTS Member
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2012, 06:33 PM »
 :-*When I was in HS I volunteered at a weekend SpEd camp. Thought that I'd become an art teacher but a little boy with CP won my heart, and changed my life! Actually have SpEd and Elementary certification and taught for 34 yrs in an inner city. Had quite a variety of students over the years, CP, Down's, Fetal Alcohol, ED, PI, students with varied degrees of Autism,...
Good book to check out "Flowers for Algernon".

Offline ♥love♥

« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2012, 06:50 PM »
I have a 13yr old daughter and this is her first summer but she is volunteering for a SpEd camp. It's goes 4 days a week and she loves it.
I love that she wanted to do it.
I really think it does these young kids good to work with Special Kids
She comes home a kinder person

Thanks for sharing

Offline djandma

• PTS Member
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2012, 09:57 PM »
  :-X
I was a member of STP before they "changed" things. My husband was diagnosed with MS a few months after I retired and reading is one of my ways of coping with the many changes we've had to make in our lives.
Hence reading about traveling the world vs. doing it...
Your daughter helping out at a SpEd camp is a great way for her to learn about compassion, although she's probably already learned about that from you! Also, with all the bullying going on it will strengthen her character and she will understand that having a disability wasn't the way those children chose to live their lives. Learning to help them, and society, adapt and to improve their life is a choice and an obligation. <3
DJ

Offline ♥love♥

« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2012, 10:28 PM »
I am sorry to hear about your husband. I love that reading can do that for you
That is how I feel about it
I love to read It's what I do on my down time
I have 4 kids so there is not alot of that but I have never liked to watch tv so books are it for me  ;)
Good luck with everything. There are so many wonderful people on here as I am sure you know
It is really nice to have someone to talk to about books
I have never had that. I was always the crazy mom that LOVED to read
So its nice knowing that other crazy people our out there
♥Love♥  :heart:

Offline Athy

• Athanasia de Alger Obelia
  • PTS Expert
  • Rating : 373
  • Enjoy everyday to the fullest!
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2012, 10:26 PM »
Hi too, DJ!  :)
My name is Fera.
and you look so excited to read books.
Good luck with your ebook virtual tour!!
:djparty:
Have fun at PTS!! :D

Offline djandma

• PTS Member
« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2012, 05:23 AM »

Thanks Fera!

Has anyone read "The Lost Wife"?  A friend recommended it and it looks really interesting!

Offline ♥love♥

« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2012, 10:30 AM »

Thanks Fera!

Has anyone read "The Lost Wife"?  A friend recommended it and it looks really interesting!

I have not but I have heard it was wonderful
My friend told me it was on her list of MUST reads
I hope you like it  :)

Offline djandma

• PTS Member
« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2012, 05:17 PM »
Just finished Shades of Grey on my Kindle (I love my Kindle, it goes everywhere with me ;) ) and I think that I'm going to take a break before reading 2 & 3! I'm finishing up The Girl Who Kicked the Hornet's Nest, then I won a book (regular book) from Goodreads and it came today...after that I'm definitely going to read The Lost Wife! I downloaded the free preview from Amazon and it seems really good. Definitely not at all like Shades go Grey!
I'll keep you posted.
 :laugh:

Offline Athy

• PTS Expert
« Reply #11 on: June 30, 2012, 08:36 PM »

Thanks Fera!

Yep :)

Waah, I'm going to search it with My Goodreads account  :laugh:
thanks for the recommendation!

Just finished Shades of Grey on my Kindle (I love my Kindle, it goes everywhere with me ;) ) and I think that I'm going to take a break before reading 2 & 3! I'm finishing up The Girl Who Kicked the Hornet's Nest, then I won a book (regular book) from Goodreads and it came today...after that I'm definitely going to read The Lost Wife! I downloaded the free preview from Amazon and it seems really good. Definitely not at all like Shades go Grey!
I'll keep you posted.
 :laugh:

Woaa congratulations for the book from Goodreads! So you're a member there too, ya? :D
by the way,  I have read Fifty Shades of Grey!! It's amazing (I started to like the series after reading the second book: Fifty Shades Darker)..
Hehehe, I'm currently absent to read the third book because well.. many other books distracted me enough. Lol  :P

Offline djandma

• PTS Member
« Reply #12 on: July 01, 2012, 03:01 AM »
I belong to a book club. We're on hiatus for the summer, but we're supposed to have a "special" meeting in August to discuss the 50 Shades trilogy. We'll also receive our new reading list for the year. Looking forward to seeing the books that were chosen from our suggestions!
The book I won from Goodreads is What Happened to my Sister. I have a funny feeling it's a 'second' book to Me & Emma, so I may have to read that one first! Will have to see if I can find that one before reading the Goodread pre release!
So many books, so little time! Lol!  :D

Offline Athy

• PTS Expert
« Reply #13 on: July 01, 2012, 06:23 AM »
So many books, so little time! Lol!  :D

I think I've heard those sentence somewhere in my quote-list in Goodreads profile!  :P
it looks great! I've finally found books to read too..
I'm currently reading the Gamblers series by Lisa Kleypas  :)
Although I read the second book first  ;)

hope you enjoy your reading and the discussion as well!
I'm pretty curious about the opinions of others towards Fifty shades series.
It's amazing and scare me in some way, Lol  8)

Offline djandma

• PTS Member
« Reply #14 on: July 01, 2012, 07:12 AM »
This must be my lucky month! I just won another Goodread pre-release! My Civil War Scrapbook, I was there too. Awesome! A birthday present from Goodreads!  :)
« Last Edit: July 01, 2012, 07:14 AM by djandma »

Offline Athy

• PTS Expert
« Reply #15 on: July 01, 2012, 07:27 AM »
This must be my lucky month! I just won another Goodread pre-release! My Civil War Scrapbook, I was there too. Awesome! A birthday present from Goodreads!  :)

Woaa.. it's the first of July here..
Congratulation again.. and Happy Birthday!!  :)
*happy reading too! (wuaaa you have so many books to read, really!)
My mother's birthday will come two days again on July 3rd! hehehe  :laugh:

Offline djandma

• PTS Member
« Reply #16 on: July 01, 2012, 07:09 PM »
My birthday isn't until the 15th but I've got a good feeling about this month! Hope that I'm right! Going to check out the Gamblers series...have a great week.
BTW-Started 50 Shades Darker today. It's more out of curiosity because I don't feel that it's very well written. I realize that it was written by a British author, but what I don't understand is why she had it taking place in the US. I attended a British teacher's college for a semester and stayed there for five months and some of the terms she uses/the way she says things just don't "fit" in an American conversation. I suppose her publisher should have caught that, but I believe that it's from a British/Australian publishing company! Have you picked up on this too?

Offline Athy

• PTS Expert
« Reply #17 on: July 02, 2012, 11:57 PM »
My birthday isn't until the 15th but I've got a good feeling about this month! Hope that I'm right! Going to check out the Gamblers series...have a great week.

Thank you :) have a great week for you too! and Good luck for it!

BTW-Started 50 Shades Darker today. It's more out of curiosity because I don't feel that it's very well written. I realize that it was written by a British author, but what I don't understand is why she had it taking place in the US. I attended a British teacher's college for a semester and stayed there for five months and some of the terms she uses/the way she says things just don't "fit" in an American conversation. I suppose her publisher should have caught that, but I believe that it's from a British/Australian publishing company! Have you picked up on this too?

I've read it! :P
50 Shades Darker is the second book, I didn't really notice the different in the writing. Perhaps because I'm not a native in English?  8)
But I did enjoy the 50 Shades Darker more than the first book..
by the way, Some reviewers in Goodreads said so, if the book isn't very well written  ???

Offline djandma

• PTS Member
« Reply #18 on: July 07, 2012, 10:28 PM »
I just finished "The Lost Wife". It's a wonderful book. I highly recommend it!  :)

Offline Athy

• PTS Expert
« Reply #19 on: July 09, 2012, 12:08 AM »
really?
I will add it to my-read-list-soon!
thanks for the recommend :D
I'm currently reading Perfect Chemistry series now^^