• March 28, 2024, 09:19 AM
• Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Perusing The Shelves

Author Topic: Review: Kiss of Snow (Psy-Changeling #10) by Nalini Singh  (Read 2726 times)

Offline lulu7005

• PTS Expert
  • Rating : 14780
  • Might is right. Possession is 9/10 of the law.
Book: Kiss of Snow (Psy-Changeling #10) by Nalini Singh
Genre: PRN (paranormal romance with Changelings and Psys)
Published year: 2011
Rating: 5 out of 5 (*****)
The blurb:
Since the moment of her defection from the PsyNet and into the SnowDancer wolf pack, Sienna Lauren has had one weakness. Hawke. Alpha and dangerous, he compels her to madness.
Hawke is used to walking alone, having lost the woman who would’ve been his mate long ago. But Sienna fascinates the primal heart of him, even as he tells himself she is far too young to handle the wild fury of the wolf.
Then Sienna changes the rules and suddenly, there is no more distance, only the most intimate of battles between two people who were never meant to meet. Yet as they strip away each other’s secrets in a storm of raw emotion, they must also ready themselves for a far more vicious fight…
A deadly enemy is out to destroy SnowDancer, striking at everything they hold dear, but it is Sienna’s darkest secret that may yet savage the pack that is her home…and the alpha who is its heartbeat…

My Review:

"Ah baby, you know I do what I want." Rubbing his chin on her hair, he squeezed her hip. "Man and wolf, we both adore you. No way am I letting you go after the hell you’ve put me through over the years."

She blew out a breath between gritted teeth. "Sometimes I really want to" -a frustrated sound- "bite you!"
He froze. "I might let you."
"I won't do it if you'd enjoy it."
Bad tempered thing. His wolf liked that about her. "Let's play."
"I might not be Silent any longer, but I still have the perfect poker face." A smug smile.

I LOVE this book! Actually I LOVE this series, in my humble opinion one of the very best in the PRN genre. I already read the whole series twice, this is my third read of Kiss of Snow and I don't tire of it.

Did I say that I LOVE this book?

Since Slave to Sensation, the first book in the series, we got glimpses of the sexual tension and sparks that are flying everywhere whenever Hawke and Sienna are in the same place.

It's never easy when a couple whose relationship has been built along so many books finally has its own story. Most of the time disappointment is waiting for you just around the corner, but can I say that in this case Nalini Singh magnificently delivered. And she so cleverly dealt with the age difference.

Be it Hawke and Sienna's love story, the general plot, the secondary love story, it was flawless. Because of that this book is full of favorite scenes (funny, sensual, hot, or simply beautifully emotional).

Hawke is 34 and the alpha wolf of the SnowDancer Pack since he was 15. When he was 7 he found the baby girl who would become his mate. Unfortunately, 3 years later Risa died. Though they weren't officially mated, Hawke is convinced that he'll never be mated (because wolves only mate once).

"They all think", he said, clearing away a few stray leaves to uncover a delicate patch of wildflowers the shade of the sky at noon, "that I'm being stubborn without reason. They don't understand I'm protecting her." He was brutally attracted to Sienna. That much, he'd admitted to himself if no one else. But the cruel fact was, he could give her little beyond a physical relationship. "I gave my heart to you a long time ago."

Since she and her family defected from the Net and he granted them asylum, Sienna is a thorn in his paw. She pushes his buttons and challenges his self-control like no one else. Despite the fact that from the very beginning they are powerfully and inexorably drawn to each other, for 3 years Hawke managed to keep his distance but since Sienna turned 19 his wolf decided she was fair game and his self-control only hangs by a thread.

"Keep pushing, baby," he murmured in that low, deep voice that touched places in her body it had no business touching. "We'll see what it gets you."

The crowd was chanting "kiss, kiss, kiss" when Hawke walked inside.
That was when Sienna learned the meaning of the term
alpha.

Sienna might only be 19 in years count, the fact is she is a X-Psy. Because of her dangerous designation, she was taken away from her family at the age of 5 to be raised by Ming LeBon the  Council's military mastermind and made Silent by the age of 9.

"The first conscious thought I remember having was about the need to shield."

To put it simply, if not under the most strict control her ability is dangerously lethal. For everyone and everything around, including her. But despite all that, she is loving, fiercely protective of the people she loves (family and packs), funny, generous, strong, clever and has a huge pair of brass balls.

"Hey." Evie put her hand on Sienna's arm. "Maybe that's good news -seriously, any woman who takes him on is going to need brass balls. Big ones."
"Are you saying mine are too small?" It was easier to be flip, to stoke the heat of her frustrated anger than to acknowledge the hurt inside of her, the bruise that kept growing ever bigger in spite of all her vows to not allow this pull toward Hawke to savage her.

Yep. Huge ones.

Fighting every cell in her body, she stepped back. "Stop it. No touching. No acting possessive."
Hawke's wolf prowled to the surface, a primal presence behind the human skin. "Oh?"
"All or nothing." She held her ground though she was shaking inside, her blood going alternately hot and cold. "If you want me, take me. Or let me go."
A slow blink, the force of his personality a pulse against her skin, a near physical push. If she'd been smart, she would've backed down, but this was her emotional life on the line, and she'd fought too hard to surrender it to anyone. Even an alpha wolf used to dominance.

The problem is, her feelings for Hawke are threatening the crucial control she has to keep over her power. But she also has to face what she suspects might very well happens to her.

Understanding that that failsafe might well be a lethal one, he said, "Do you really think I'd let you go that easily?"
An implacable glance from eyes that were suddenly decades older than him. "I'm not yours to let go."

I loved her maturity and the fact that no matter how disadvantaged she felt, she never gave up and kept keeping Hawke on his toes. For years.

Their courtship was all at once intense (with a lot of sexual tension), funny and emotional.

I loved how everyone (SnowDancer and DarkRiver members) reacted to Hawke and Sienna courtship. Lucas and Kit's teasing of Hawke, Drew and Indigo trying to boost Sienna, Judd and Walker man to man talk with Hawke, Riley and Indigo's love for Hawke and protectiveness toward Sienna. The chalet building,...

I loved Lucas and Sascha participation, and how Hawke just can't help teasing Lucas.

... And Sascha could get even a demon to behave. Mostly. "Hello, Sascha darling," he murmured, dropping his voice into bedroom territory. "Miss me?".
"Terrible man," Sascha said, trying to get around her mate. Lucas refused to let her pass. "Both of you." But she allowed Luc to wrap her in his arms, press his lips to her temple.

I also think that Nalini Singh creates ones of the most cute kids ever.

A small hand brushed over her own as Marlee patted Toby's back. "Don't be sad, Toby. Hawke won't bite her very hard for running away."
Toby's eyes went huge as he drew back from the hug... and then he started laughing, turning to wrap one arm around his grinning cousin's neck to tug her to his side.

From the mouths lara thought, her own lips twitching, of babes."

The secondary romance between Lara and Walker was sweet and beautiful.

"I've heard it's the quiet ones you have to watch out for."

So true...

Now Walker gave a clipped nod. "Then we're clear." Turning on his heel, he walked back to his quarters.
Hawke's wolf shook its head, staring after the Psy male with pale green eyes. "You told me you were a teacher in the Net."
The man looked over his shoulder. "I was. You never asked me who I taught." The door closed.

All that happened in the backdrop of a raging Psy-Changeling war and not only I loved the final battle scene but also the turn its consequences give to the story.

Her wolf cupped her face, nothing but a wild devotion in his touch, in his voice. "Then what's there to be scared about?"
It broke her heart, that he was hers. "I love you." I'm sorry.
A caress down the mating bond, an untamed kiss that she knew was her wolf before he said, "Forever," and dived with her in his arms, the water closing over their heads in a sheet of sparkling blue."

« Last Edit: April 02, 2013, 03:32 AM by lulu7005 »

The following users thanked this post: Bells, ♥love♥, ilovetoread

Advertisement

Tags: