check it out .. for some useful shell scripts in unix !! worked out in fedora version.
Following scripts (programs) are listed :
1. Sends reminder mails for upcoming events .
2. Folds lines of texts beyond 30 characters
3. Modifies cal command
4. Tests whether a file exists or not
5. Tests whether a particular user is logged in or not
6. Overwrites file
7. Checks the file permissions of the file
8. Reads the user input and displays each argument separately
9. Calculates the Gross Salary of an employee .
Condition : 1)If Basic Salary is less than Rs 9500 , then HRA = 15%
of basic and DA = 27% of basic .
2)If Salary is either equal to or more than 9500 , then
HRA = Rs 1425 and DA = 35 of basic .
10. Calculates grade obtained by a student depending upon the marks
11. Implements linear search
12. Implements Insertion Sort
13. Checks whether a number entered at commandline is prime or not
14. Displays : 1)sorted output of ?who? along with total number of users.
2)stores same output except number of users in FILE1.
15. Displays Multiplication table of desired number
16. Compares two files,if the contents are same removes the second file
17. Calculates the sum of digits of the number entered at command line .
18. Merges the contents of three given files and sorts the text .
and many more....
1. Comparing zodiac signs of two friends
2. For every file in the current directory check if it is file or directory if a file check whether it is executable
3. check if the name entered is a file or directory and its permissions
4. Check if a number entered is odd or even
5. compare two files if same delete the second if different move the second in a sub directory
6. sum of the digits of a no.
8. greet the user acc to current time
9. Integer Evaluation
10. LEap Year
11. a>Remove blank lines from a file
b>Display lines having exactly 3 words
c>No. of users who work with bash shell
12. check for a pattern in a file
13. Check for Prime number
14. Check if a user has logged in every one min for 5 mins.
15. check the no. of occurences of all words in a file...
.... and many more...