What is DRM?
-DRM (aka D
anagement)is used by publishers to restrict what you can do with your eBooks. DRM controls which devices you can use to read your eBook, and stops you converting your eBooks from one format to another.
There are several different DRM schemes. Ebooks with one DRM scheme can’t be read on a device that uses a different DRM scheme. (For example, books purchased from Barnes & Nobles Nook store can't be read on an Amazon Kindle device) Some DRM schemes limit eBooks to one device only, so if you want to read that ebook on a different device, it’s necessary to download the eBook again. Others require new devices to be authorized by a central server on the Internet.Ethics of DRM Removal
It shouldn’t really be necessary to say this, but just to be clear:None of the developers and maintainers of these tools, the moderators or administrators of this site, or the authors or contributors of this helpful thread, are in favor of eBooks being ‘pirated’. We expect people to use these tools only to gain full access to eBooks they have bought themselves. DeDRMed ebooks should not be uploaded to open servers, torrents, or other methods of mass distribution, or uploaded to this site. No help will be given to people doing such things, and no links to such books should be posted here. Authors, Publishers and Ebook retailers all need to earn money to be able to carry on making great eBooks available.
The Tutorial: Method 1: Remove DRM with Calibre
The first thing you need to do is download Calibre if you do not already have it (You are not allowed to view links.
), then [/b]....you will need to unzip the file not
the tools and store somewhere you'll remember like your Desktop). *You need to make sure that you have the most recent version of Calibre installed. Current version
- updated every Friday.
You can also download the tools below or by clicking the link You are not allowed to view links.
.Don't forget to uncheck the box where it says to download using the website downloader.. Otherwise you may get an "unsafe to download" message from your browser.
If you are unsure you can always download from this post
Next, open Calibre click on the 'Preferences' tab found along the top bar (next to 'Connect/Share'),looks like gears. In the bottom left hand corner under Advanced
click on 'plugins', this will open a new window....in the bottom left corner click the 'Load plugins from file' tab. Now you will need to locate the 'tools' folder you downloaded, open, add all tools found in the 'Calibre plugins' file. (2 warning messages will pop up- hit 'yes', then 'ok'). In upper left corner click the green checkmark next to 'Apply'. *you may need to restart Calibre for the plugins to take effect.*Which Calibre plugins unlock which types of books?
*eReader_PDB2PML- unlocks eReader files, such as books from FictionWise and older Barnes&Noble pdb files.
*Ignoble_ePub- unlocks Barnes and Noble Nook books as well as books from Diesel, Sony and Overdrive bookstores
*Inept_PDF- unlocks Adobe Digital Edition PDF’s
*K4Mobi_DeDRM- unlocks Amazon books (K4PC, K4Mac, standalone Kindles, Mobi Books)as well as books for other devices with fixed PID’s, such as Android.
*If you have a bookstore/file type to add to the list please feel free to post it and if you have a book store or file type and you can't figure out which plugin is the correct one to use/customize please feel free to ask. Please note however that when you correctly install the deDRM plugins into Calibre you are installing all
the plugins listed above as a complete package.Helpful Tips and Tricks for Calibre:
- Remove the book from Calibre and re-add it then try converting. 80% of the time this is the problem.
Make sure both your tools and Calibre are up to date.
- You will need to customize your plug-ins with this latest batch of plugins, especially if you download from Barnes & Noble (customize with CC # and name) or directly to your Kindle device (customize with PID/serial #). Please refer to the customization guide below. I recommend downloading the Kindle 4 PC desktop app if you purchase books from Amazon since you don’t have to customize this plug-in.
- To add books from Kindle 4 PC:
Open Calibre, click Add Books, locate your Documents folder>>My Kindle Content. Locate the book you want to add and select the file with the blue icon that reads “Kindle Content”.
*Please note that Kindle books have several different files- you want to make sure you are clicking on the one with the blue icon.
- You do need to remove old plugins when updating to a newer version this time. See the txt document for instructions included in your tools.
- When customizing with multiple credit cards be sure to separate by commas only no spaces.
- Confirm that your Plugins appear correctly under Preferences -> Plugins -> File Type Plugins. If they do not, and/or if you're having trouble adding the plugins, make sure you're adding the correct zip file. Also make sure that you have not unzipped the plugins themselves, just the tools package. Calibre automatically unzips the files when added.
*You may need to customize your Calibre plugins if you use NookBooks (will need your credit card information used to purchase the book) or download Kindle books directly to Kindle (will need your PID or Kindle serial number) before stripping the DRM. To customize, go into Preferences---->Plug ins----> in the drop down list click on 'File Type Plugins'. For Kindle customization click on 'K4PC....' plugin and at the bottom click on 'Customize Plugin' enter PID/serial. For NookBooks click on 'Ignore ePub DRM' then 'customize plugin' enter CC info. Click 'Apply' to finish and save.
Method 2: Python method, not the All-In-One version.
*Note: this method is for the more 'advanced user'
Once again you will need the v_4.7 tools found below, you will also need to install Python on your computer. (Python is a programming language that lets you work more quickly and integrate your systems more effectively.... )
To install Python:
1. Download ActivePython 2.7.1 for Windows (x86) (or later 2.7 version for Windows (x86) ) from You are not allowed to view links.
. Do *not* download the ActivePython 2.7.1 for Windows (64-bit, x64) version, even if you are running 64-bit Windows.
2. When it has finished downloading, run the installer. Accept the default options.
You will also need to install PyCrypto (PyCrypto is a set of encryption/decryption routines that work with Python). To install:
1. Download PyCrypto 2.1 for 32bit Windows and Python 2.7 fromYou are not allowed to view links.
2. When it has finished downloading, unzip it. This will produce a file “pycrypto-2.1.0.win32-py2.7.exe”.
3. Double-click “pycrypto-2.1.0.win32-py2.7.exe” to run it. Accept the default options.
You now have Python and PyCrypto installed on your computer, and you can use the Python scripts contained below. Download the v_4.7 tools, unzip all (extract all), and follow the instructions found in the 'Read Me' text files (each one is self explanatory so i will not go into details about them, but if you need help feel free to ask)
Method 3: Requiem (for use with iTunes):Note: Requiem no longer removes the drm for ebooks. If that changes I'll let you know
Sorry but you are not allowed to view spoiler contents.
** Most of the problems you run into are covered in the txt files included in your tools. Navigate to where you have your tools located, to the version you are currently using. Read READ ME FIRST, then go into Calibre_Plugins and read the applicable txt for more information.
Partial credit of this guide goes to Greyfox, for tips and tricks as well as his work on Method 3: The Requiem Method, and ApprenticeAlf for unknowingly allowing me to "borrow" parts of his guide.